Monday, December 5, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Chili


I decided to spend my Sunday planning the weeks meals, organizing my coupons, doing laundry and coloring with my son all while listening to Christmas music. With all this on my agenda I needed something simple for dinner. After surveying the pantry I decided on chili sans meat, but you could add it if you want. I have many great chili recipes in my kitchen arsenal, but I needed something for the limited ingredients I had available. I created this recipe which turned out perfect for serving atop the baked potatoes I had on hand. Fresh green onions, sour cream, sharp cheddar and crumbled bacon made for a wonderful Sunday dinner.
Sunday Afternoon Chili
2- 15.25 oz cans of black beans
2- 14 oz. cans of stewed tomatoes
1-10 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 small onion finely diced
Put all ingredients in slow cooker and turn on high for 4 hours. Serve over a small baked potatoe garnished with sour cream, sharp cheddar, green onions and crumbled bacon (optional).
Baked potatoes can be prepared quickly by microwaving 5-6 minutes and then cooking in 400 degree oven until finished baking (@20-30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoe). Pierce potatoes to vent steam prior to microwaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment