Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DIY kitchen island

Thank you to pinterest for bringing so many amazing ideas together in one place. I can now access inspiration that used to cost me $5-$10 a magazine. I love interior design and it's unique ability to say so much about a person. Even when we think our designs are uninspired or boring they are talking-From the color on the walls to the pictures in our frames there are wonderful stories being told.
My current project is my kitchen. I love cooking and the power that food holds. Something as simple as a warm cookie can turn a bad day good. The kitchen is the heart of the home and in my opinion the room that says the most about it's owners. I want my kitchen to be a place of happiness and solitude and safety. I want the smell of fresh coffee and toast in the morning to make anything seem possible and the smell of dinner cooking in the evening to make a bad day just melt away. Not just a place to prepare food but a gathering place for family and friends where everyone feels welcome and wanted.
With these wonderful ideals in mind I have taken on several DIY projects to improve the personal style in my kitchen. First a breakfast stand purchased over 10 years ago will become a beautiful center island for extra space to prep for dinner or serve hor dourves. It's been painted several times over the years so my first step was to sand it to ensure a smooth painting service. Next I used mild soap and water to wash all surface areas i would be painting. Third, I primed it with a grey spray primer and let dry completely. The next step is to paint the piece my desired color and let dry completely before using. I will also be attaching s towel bar to the end for drying/wiping hands during prep work. Stay tuned for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment